Create an original colored pencil piece using only the three primary colors plus black and white.
You may also use a blender or solvent. Any surface, subject, or size accepted. Submitted artwork must be created specifically for this challenge and be your own. By entering this challenge, you accept responsibility for the rights of your image and reference. Photo editing is strictly limited to adjustments that help a photo look like the original art.
One free entry for all ages, worldwide! Submit an image of your finished artwork, along with your name, title, size, materials used, and category to our Flickr page at www.flickr.com/groups/cpmchallenge.
Visit our website for complete rules, category definitions, and posted winners at:
THE DEADLINE: July 1st, 2021
Win an eGift Card from Jerry’s Artarama in the following amounts . . .
Advanced: $500 | Intermediate: $400 | Beginner: $300
Random Prize: 120 Piece Cezanne Premium Colored Pencil Tin Set
To be entered to win, share your finished piece on your social media & tag:
You must use the official primary colors (plus black and white) from the brand that you select. You cannot use more than one brand of pencil to complete your piece. You are encouraged to use your primary colors to blend and create all the colors you need. Blenders are acceptable.
Here is a quick list of primary colors from some popular brands, taken from their basic sets.
Prismacolor Premier: Crimson Red PC924, Canary Yellow PC916, True Blue PC903
Faber-Castell Polychromos: Deep Scarlet Red 118, Cadmium Yellow 107, Phthalo Blue 110
Caran d’Ache Luminance: Permanent Red 061, Lemon Yellow 240, Phthalo Blue 162
Derwent Lightfast: Scarlet, Sun Yellow, Mid Ultramarine (Not recommended)
Holbein Artist’s Colored Pencil: Carmine OP042, Canary Yellow OP147, Cobalt Blue OP347
- Open internationally to all ages. Parental consent may be required to claim prizes.
- Entry must be created after 3/27/21 to qualify.
- You must have the legal right to use your reference photo(s). (Photographer Release Example)
- Artwork must include challenge name, artist name, and qualifying category.
- Artwork must be 100% colored pencil (solvents are accepted) *Note: Our definition of colored pencil in its simplest form is 1) it must be a pencil and 2) it must be pigmented. This means we include pastel, ink, watercolor, wax, and oil-based pencils! This does NOT include chalks or sticks.
- Limited to 1 original entry per artist.
- Posted work must be family-friendly – no nudity or vulgarity. Entries we deem in violation will be deleted at our discretion without notice.
- Artwork must be uploaded and posted to our group page by the deadline listed (Midnight, Eastern Time).
- Images must represent the actual artwork as much as possible. Photoshop usage must be limited to color corrections to match original work and cannot be used for manipulations, clean-up, or modifications of your artwork. You cannot work directly on a photocopy or grisaille image! Line transfers (tracing onto your own paper), however, is acceptable. Any submissions in question will be required to show work-in-progress images to satisfy our judges.
- We prefer that you post the size and materials used and any other details you’d like to share. If entry is brought into question, we may require more information about your artwork, including materials and methods used.
- Winners are contacted via their submitted Flickr account through a private message. To claim your prize, winners have 7 days to submit a non-watermarked, high resolution (300 ppi) image along with name and email for the prize to be sent to.
- Prize-winning artists are eliminated from the random drawing. However, artists who are Honorable Mentions are still included in the random pool.
- You can only win one time in the Beginner and Intermediate Categories before being bumped to the next level.
- Once you enter in a category, you cannot go back to a less-advanced one.
- By uploading your artwork to our Flickr page, you are agreeing to our terms of service below. We reserve the right to remove files from our page without prior notice.
RESTRICTIONS & DEFINITIONS
Advanced Category (One or more of the following.)
You have –
• Made money from your artwork.
• Received high accolades, recognition, or awards for your colored pencil artwork.
• Instructed others. (In publications, blogs, video, or art classes.)
• Won an Intermediate Challenge.
• An art degree or extensive art instruction.
Intermediate Category (One of more of the following.)
You have –
• At least 2-years of experience with colored pencils.
• Limited art instruction.
• Won a Beginner Challenge.
• Risen to this level.
Beginner Category (Not qualified for other categories.)
Judging is done by the COLORED PENCIL Staff. First, we will look at rendering skills and how successful you were at using your limited palate. Next, we consider proportion, values, and hues and then composition and creativity.
SUBMITTING YOUR ENTRY ON FLICKR
Note that your screen may look different depending on the version and device on which you are viewing.
Step 1. Make sure that you have a Flickr account. You will not be able to submit or view all images without doing this.
Step 2. Click on the Cloud with Arrow, located on the top black bar (to the right next to the bell), to Upload an image to your Photostream.
Step 3. Add a TITLE in the description, plus your NAME and the CATAGORY in which you are entering.
Step 4. Be sure that your image is set to VIEWING PRIVACY = PUBLIC.
Step 5. Select “Add to group” on the right side and Search CPM Art Challenge or Go to our group page www.flickr.com/groups/cpmchallenge or select “Add Photo” to the Photo Pool.
You are done! We will add a confirmation with a thank you message, right before judging begins.
View winners at www.coloredpencilmag.com/challenge
TERMS OF SERVICE
Limited Use Copyright Release & Agreement
By submitting your art to the COLORED PENCIL Magazine Art Challenge and uploading it to our Flickr page, you are acknowledging that you have read, understood, and accept the following terms and conditions.
RIGHTS ASSIGNMENT AND WARRANTY
You acknowledge that you are the copyright holder of artwork submitted and agree to assign non-exclusive rights to the publisher for reproduction in COLORED PENCIL Magazine, related publications, and for possible use in marketing material associated with this publication at the publisher’s discretion. The artist warrants that all information supplied is current and accurate. Furthermore, the artist/author indemnifies the publisher against any claims from any party that may arise from the publication of images and materials submitted.
LIMITATION OF RIGHTS
Other than the assignment of the necessary rights, the publisher does not acquire, nor assume responsibility for, any other rights.
Print this page for your records. Changes may be made without notice.