Create an original colored pencil piece of your pet or your favorite pet. Only one animal/subject per entry!
Submitted artwork must be created specifically for this challenge and be your own. By entering this challenge, you accept responsibility for the rights of your image and reference. Photo editing is strictly limited to adjustments that help a photo look like the original art.
Up to 3 entries for all ages, worldwide! Submit an image of your finished artwork, along with your name, title, size, materials used, and category to our Flickr page at www.flickr.com/groups/cpmchallenge.
Visit our website for complete rules, category definitions, and posted winners at:
THE DEADLINE: October 1st, 2021
Win an eGift Card from Jerry’s Artarama in the following amounts . . .
Advanced: $500 | Intermediate: $400 | Beginner: $300
Random Prize: 120 Piece Cezanne Premium Colored Pencil Tin Set
To be entered to win, share your finished piece on your social media & tag:
- Open internationally to all ages. Parental consent may be required to claim prizes.
- Entry must be created after 06/27/21 to qualify.
- You must have the legal right to use your reference photo(s). (Photographer Release Example)
- Artwork must include challenge name, artist name, and qualifying category.
- Artwork must be 80% colored pencil (solvents are accepted). *Note: Our definition of colored pencil in its simplest form is 1) it must be a pencil and 2) it must be pigmented. This means we include pastel, ink, watercolor, wax, and oil-based pencils! This does NOT include chalks or sticks.
- Only one animal/subject per entry.
- “Pet” is defined, for this contest, as a privately-owned companion animal and that is dependant on humans for its care. (No wildlife.)
- Limited to 3 original entries per artist.
- Posted work must be family-friendly. Entries we deem in violation will be deleted at our discretion without notice.
- Artwork must be uploaded and posted to our group page by the deadline listed (Midnight, Eastern Time).
- Images must represent the actual artwork as much as possible. Photoshop usage must be limited to color corrections to match original work and cannot be used for manipulations, clean-up, or modifications of your artwork. You cannot work directly on a photocopy or grisaille image! Line transfers (tracing onto your own paper), however, is acceptable. Any submissions in question may be required to show work-in-progress images to satisfy our judges.
- We prefer that you post the size and materials used and any other details you’d like to share. If entry is brought into question, we may require more information about your artwork, including materials and methods used.
- Winners are contacted via their submitted Flickr account through a private message. To claim your prize, winners have 7 days to submit a non-watermarked, high resolution (300 ppi) image along with their name and email for the prize to be sent to.
- Prize-winning artists are eliminated from the random drawing.
- You can only win one time in the Beginner and Intermediate Categories before being bumped to the next level.
- Once you enter in a category, you cannot go back to a less advanced one.
- By uploading your artwork to our Flickr page, you are agreeing to our terms of service below. We reserve the right to remove files from our page without prior notice.
RESTRICTIONS & DEFINITIONS
Advanced Category (One or more of the following.)
You have –
• Made money from your artwork.
• Received high accolades, recognition, or awards for your colored pencil artwork.
• Instructed others. (In publications, blogs, video, or art classes.)
• Won an Intermediate Challenge.
• An art degree or extensive art instruction.
Intermediate Category (One of more of the following.)
You have –
• At least 2-years of experience with colored pencils.
• Limited art instruction.
• Won a Beginner Challenge.
• Risen to this level.
Beginner Category (Not qualified for other categories.)
Judging is done by the COLORED PENCIL Staff. First, we will look at rendering skills. Next, we consider proportion, values, and hues and then composition and creativity.
SUBMITTING YOUR ENTRY ON FLICKR
Note that your screen may look different depending on the version and device on which you are viewing.
Step 1. Make sure that you have a Flickr account. You will not be able to submit or view all images without doing this.
Step 2. Click on the Cloud with Arrow, located on the top black bar (to the right next to the bell), to Upload an image to your Photostream.
Step 3. Add CHALLENGE NAME, COMPLETED DATE, TITLE in the description, plus your NAME and the CATAGORY in which you are entering.
Step 4. Be sure that your image is set to VIEWING PRIVACY = PUBLIC.
Step 5. Select “Add to group” on the right side and Search CPM Art Challenge or Go to our group page www.flickr.com/groups/cpmchallenge or select “Add Photo” to the Photo Pool.
You are done! We will add a confirmation with a thank you message, right before judging begins.
View winners at www.coloredpencilmag.com/challenge
TERMS OF SERVICE
Limited Use Copyright Release & Agreement
By submitting your art to the COLORED PENCIL Magazine Art Challenge and uploading it to our Flickr page, you are acknowledging that you have read, understood, and accept the following terms and conditions.
RIGHTS ASSIGNMENT AND WARRANTY
You acknowledge that you are the copyright holder of artwork submitted and agree to assign non-exclusive rights to the publisher for reproduction in COLORED PENCIL Magazine, related publications, and for possible use in marketing material associated with this publication at the publisher’s discretion. The artist warrants that all information supplied is current and accurate. Furthermore, the artist/author indemnifies the publisher against any claims from any party that may arise from the publication of images and materials submitted.
LIMITATION OF RIGHTS
Other than the assignment of the necessary rights, the publisher does not acquire, nor assume responsibility for, any other rights.
Print this page for your records. Changes may be made without notice.